Share your knowledge
Share your passion
Lead a workshop
Call for Proposals
The Surplace media coop is calling for proposals for its Fall 2018/ Winter 2019 workshop series. An ideal workshop teaches practical skills, and mentors students on their projects. The class size is limited to 8 students. The suggested cost for students is 150-250$, but this is negotiable. Teachers earn 80% of tuition. This works out to $960 for 8 students paying 150$.
Please read through the details on this page, and use the form below to submit your proposal. Proposals will be considered as they are received; there isn’t a specific deadline. The first session of workshops will begin in early October 2018; the second session will begin in January 2019.
If you have any questions, send an email to email@example.com.
Propose a workshop on one of these subjectsThe goals of the practical media training series are to teach students hard skills that can advance their own art & media practices, and that they can use to get paid contracts or jobs. The small class size (max. 8 students) means that teachers will have time to mentor student projects one-on-one. A workshop can be quite specific (e.g. shoot and edit portrait photography) or more general (e.g. short fiction writing). Propose a workshop in an area you have expertise in and passion for. Here is a list of recommended categories for the training series; all proposals will be considered. If you’re not sure whether your idea will be eligible, send an email.
|Photography||Videography, filmmaking||Writing, editing||Publishing|
|Digital art, graphic design||Video editing||Radio, podcasting||Animation, motion graphics|
|Illustration, visual art||Art direction, sceneography||Sound design||Journalism, research|
|Web design, wordpress||Adobe programs (or other software)||Promotions, marketing||Social campaigns|
|Performing arts||Grant writing, arts administration||Community organizing||Something else!|
Surplace is a media coop and workers collective focused on creative digital content for online dissemination: videos, podcasts, internet radio, events, and more. We have an experimental business model for creating media that enriches our local community while creating meaningful employment and opportunities for our members. Surplace offers affordable workshops to help Montrealers tell the stories that matter to them in a fun and relaxed environment. We do media contracts with local businesses who want to make an impact with beautiful, fun and engaging media.
Accessibility notice: Unfortunately, Surplace is not a physically accessible studio for people with mobility issues. There are 8 steps to the front door, with no ramp.
|Call for proposals||June 25, 2018|
|Accepting submissions now! Then interviews & workshop development. Proposals are considered on a rolling basis (first-come first-serve). There is no hard deadline.||Mid-August, 2018 (soft deadline, late submissions are accepted.)|
|Open house event: Teachers describe their workshops for students.||August 22, 2018 (tentative)|
|Fall 2018 Session||October 1 – December 7, 2018|
|Winter 2019 Session||January 7 – March 8, 2019|
|Spring 2019 Session||March 10 – May 24, 2019|
Resources available for workshopsWorkshops happen at the Surplace studio and coworking space on Parc Ave. The room can be reconfigured for different needs. Here is what teachers will have access to:
|Desk space for up to six people||Studio backgrounds: white, green|
|Projector, screen, speakers||Lighting kit: 2x softbox, ring light, reflectors kit|
|Production PC with Adobe CC suite||Camera: Sony Nex-5 camera, GoPro, Teleprompter|
|Wifi||Sound recording: various microphones, zoom rec & audio gear|
|Printer, copier, scanner||Webcam (for remote guests)|
Preparing your proposal
Here are some things to keep in mind when preparing you proposal:
- We are open to different workshop formats. Here are some examples. A 4-6 week workshop, building towards a completed project. A series of drop-in classes, that doesn’t depend on regular attendance. A weekend intensive, going deep into a subject.
- We highly encourage workshops in which students get to develop their own projects in media arts. Often the final class will showcase each student’s work. Surplace would like to share these projects with our community.
- The suggested cost to students for taking a 6-week workshop is $150. The teacher keeps 80% of tuition and Surplace takes 20% to cover administration and rent. If you would like to charge more for your workshop that’s totally fine, you can indicate that in the application. If you would like to offer a pay-what-you-can sliding scale, that is also fine.
- The maximum number per workshop is 8 students.
- In the application form, the teacher is asked for their preference to hold the workshop in a morning, afternoon, evening, or weekend time slot.
- The application form is the first stage of the application. If we like the proposal we’ll set up a meeting, and work with you to develop the full workshop.
Questions and answers:
- Question: What if I have more than one workshop idea? Answer: Submit as many as you like.
- Question: Can I lead a workshop in French? Answer: Yes, definitely.
- Question: How will the workshops be promoted to Montrealers? Answer: Surplace produces a video ad for each workshop with the teachers; we’ll hold an open house a couple weeks before the session; we’ll do online and flyer advertising.
- Question: What if only a couple people sign up for my workshop? Answer: Normally, 4 students is the minimum number of students needed to proceed. The pay is always based on 80% of tuition received.
- Question: What if I want to be picky about who gets to take your workshop? Answer: That should be fine. Let’s talk about it.
- Question: What if I have another question? Answer: send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.