Share your knowledge
Share your passion
Lead a workshop
Call for Proposals
The Surplace media coop is calling for proposals for workshops, for January through May, 2019 (and beyond). An ideal workshop teaches practical skills, includes hands-on group work, and mentors students on their projects. The class size is limited to 8 students. The suggested cost for students is 200$ for a 5-week workshop, but this is flexible. Teachers earn 75% of tuition revenues. This works out to $1200 pay to the teacher for a full workshop, with 8 students.
Please read through the details on this page, and use the form below to submit your proposal. Proposals will be considered as they are received; there isn’t a specific deadline. The plan is to run a sequence of 5-week workshops, starting in January 2019 until early June.
If you have any questions, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Propose a workshop on one of these subjectsThe goals of the practical media training series are to teach students hard skills that can advance their own art & media practices, and that they can use to get paid contracts or jobs. The small class size (max. 8 students) means that teachers will have time to mentor student projects one-on-one. A workshop can be quite specific (e.g. shoot and edit portrait photography) or more general (e.g. short fiction writing). Propose a workshop in an area you have expertise in and passion for. Here is a list of recommended categories for the training series; all proposals will be considered. If you’re not sure whether your idea will be eligible, send an email.
|Photography||Videography, filmmaking||Writing, editing||Publishing|
|Digital art, graphic design||Video editing||Radio, podcasting||Animation, motion graphics|
|Illustration, visual art||Art direction, sceneography||Sound design||Journalism, research|
|Web design, wordpress||Adobe programs (or other software)||Promotions, marketing||Social campaigns|
|Performing arts||Grant writing, arts administration||Community organizing||Something else!|
Sur Place is a media coop and workers collective focused on creative digital content for online dissemination: videos, podcasts, internet radio, events, and more. We have an experimental business model for creating media that enriches our local community while creating meaningful employment and opportunities for our members. Sur Place offers affordable workshops to help Montrealers tell the stories that matter to them in a fun and relaxed environment. We do media contracts with local businesses who want to make an impact with beautiful, fun and engaging media.
Accessibility notice: Unfortunately, Sur Place is not a physically accessible studio for people with mobility issues. There are 8 steps to the front door, with no ramp.
Timeline for workshop proposals
|Call for proposals||Ongoing|
|Teacher / facilitator submits a workshop proposal, on this page.||Ongoing|
|Sur Place admin reviews proposals, communicates with applicant, schedule a meeting.||1-2 weeks.|
|Face to face meeting: review workshop content & scheduling; produce promotional video.||2 hour meeting|
|Your workshop is published and promoted online||6-8 weeks|
|Your workshop begins! Minimum students: 4, maximum students: 8.||5 weeks|
|You get paid 75% of total registration fees||1 week after start date|
|Rinse and repeat: if the workshop was successful, let’s run it again.||TBD|
Resources available for workshopsWorkshops happen at the Sur Place studio space at 5585 Parc Ave. The room can be reconfigured for different needs. Here is what teachers will have access to:
|Desk space for up to six people||Studio backgrounds: white, green|
|Projector, screen, speakers||Lighting kit: 2x softbox, ring light, reflectors kit|
|Production PC with Adobe CC suite||Camera: Sony Nex-5 camera, GoPro, Teleprompter|
|Wifi||Sound recording: various microphones, zoom rec & audio gear|
|Printer, copier, scanner||Webcam (for remote guests)|
Preparing your proposal
Here are some things to keep in mind when preparing you proposal:
- The standard workshop format is 5 weeks X 2 hour sessions, registration cost of 200$.
- We are open to other workshop formats and pricing, for example: a series of drop-in classes, that doesn’t depend on regular attendance; a weekend intensive, going deep into a topic.
- We encourage workshops in which students work in teams and get to develop their own projects.
- The teacher keeps 75% of tuition and Sur Place takes 25% to cover marketing, administration and rent.
- The maximum number per workshop is 8 students.
- The application form is the first stage of the application. If we like the proposal we’ll set up a meeting, and work with you to develop the full workshop.
Questions and answers:
- Question: What if I have more than one workshop idea? Answer: Submit as many as you like.
- Question: Can I lead a workshop in French? Answer: Yes, definitely.
- Question: How will the workshops be promoted to Montrealers? Answer: Surplace produces a video ad for each workshop with the teachers; we’ll hold an open house a couple weeks before the session; we’ll do online and flyer advertising.
- Question: What if only a couple people sign up for my workshop? Answer: Normally, 4 students is the minimum number of students needed to proceed. The pay is always based on 80% of tuition received.
- Question: What if I want to be picky about who gets to take your workshop? Answer: That should be fine. Let’s talk about it.
- Question: What if I have another question? Answer: send an email to email@example.com.