This workshop will provide students with the skills and knowledge to use Adobe InDesign through the medium of mini-publications like pamphlets, zines, or brochures. Classes will include the history and practice of graphic design, the basic tools of InDesign, and in-class feedback. Students will leave the workshop with confidence in their layout skills and their own mini-publication that they will create over the course of the workshop.
- The History of Design and DIY
- InDesign basics: Setting up your document
- Indesign basics continued
- Formatting your document: layout, images, text styling, etc.
2 week break: Finding your topic, creating the content, starting layout. During the 2 week break, the teacher and students remain in contact through Sur Place’s online platform, the Rink.
- In class feedback period
- Troubleshooting technological issues
- Final presentation of zine
- Next steps: Using InDesign beyond the workshop
- Wednesday, Oct 16, 6:30-9:00pm
- Wednesday, Oct 23, 6:30-9:00pm
- 2 week break: Independent project work.**
- Wednesday, Nov 13, 6:30-9:00pm
- Wednesday, Nov 20, 6:30-9:00pm
** During the 2 week break, the teacher and students remain in contact through Sur Place’s online platform, the Rink.
Tegan Bowers is a Tiohtiá:ke/Montreal based artist and designer working in photography, illustration, publication design, and performance. Tegan’s work is humorous, absurd, and saturated with a focus on the cacophonous/harmonious possibilities of art and design. https://www.teganbowers.com/